Netflix Pulls House of Cards
As allegations of unwanted sexual advances in 1986 by Kevin Spacey against then-14-year-old Anthony Rapp have emerged, Netflix today decided to cancel House of Cards after the upcoming sixth season next year.
Only hours after Star Trek Discovery star Rapp first made public his allegations of what happened at a party at Spacey’s New York City apartment back in the mid-1980s, the streaming service made the official decision today. While Netflix and producers Media Rights Capital were leaning towards ending the show a while ago, key cast and creatives were only alerted this morning in a series of calls.
“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,” the companies said in a joint statement today. “In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
Meanwhile, the International TV Academy has withdrawn a planned award for Spacey in the wake of historical harassment allegations.
Spacey had been due to be awarded the 2017 International Emmy Founders Award in New York in November but has now had the honour revoked.
In a statement on its website, The International Academy of Television Arts and Sciences said: “The International Academy has announced today that in light of recent events it will not honour Kevin Spacey with the 2017 International Emmy Founders Award.”
Further Allegations Emerging
Two more allegations have emerged since Rapp spoke out. America TV anchor Heather Unruh, 50, has suggested a loved one had been assaulted by the star.
Shortly afterwards Sunday, Spacey issued a statement on social media saying he “did not remember the encounter” but added he was “horrified” by what Rapp described. “If I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behaviour,” Spacey said.
The Oscar-winning Spacey also used the occasion to announce publicly that chose now to “to live as a gay man,” a move that drew harsh rebukes swiftly online and otherwise. As for Rapp, the actor said on Twitter after Spacey’s apology and an announcement that he had “no further comment …at this time.”
The Media Officials network is your official source for compelling content. We are a content creation and publishing platform. With 35+ websites focused on the most popular topics on the internet, we operate sites such as Life Officials, Tech Officials, News Officials, Trip Officials and Rate Officials. Media Officials produce unique, engaging content for online readers. Our team of writers produce original pieces to engage our audience. Using the best techniques of brand journalism, we work with companies to produce quality content for their brand. For more information, please visit our website.
If you are a writer with a passion for a particular topic or area, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Write for Us page to avail of our opportunities.