Beauty and the Beast is making an absolute killing at the box office right now. Despite receiving semi descent reviews, at the time of writing it is currently sitting at a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes without the certified ranking, the nostalgic hungry parents / young adults were likely eager to get their kids out to the cinema for the flick. The film has taken in close to a billion USD in just two weeks and is on track to hit 1.5 Billion in the box office before being released on DVD and Blue Ray.
Well greedy little Micky Mouse decide to cash in on this money-making monster and has green lit not one but 18 animated classic remakes… Lets count em down
- The remake of Mulan will be released in November of 2018. I have to say the Kid in me is pretty excited about this. One can only hope they get Eddie Murphy to voice the pet dragon once again. The film is being helmed by Niki Caro who will be only the second woman in Disney history to direct a film with a budget over 100 million dollars
- The Lion King will be directed by Jon Favreau, who previously directed the live adaptation of the Jungle Book
- Tim Burton who brought Disney’s Alice in Wonderland to life will be directing a reimagining of Dumbo
- The sword in the stone is being written by Bryan Cogman who written various episodes of Games of Thrones. No director set as of this writing, most after this point are currently in prelim stages of development.
- Prince Charming is getting a reimagining with the various Prince’s featured in the animated classics making appearances…. Seems weird but okay.
- Genie from Aladdin is getting a prequel done. Without the amazing talent of Robin Williams I can’t imagine this version will be as good as the original
- Meanwhile Aladdin is getting treatment from Snatch Director Guy Ritchie.
- Emma Stone coming in hot off her killing during La La Land will get to play the infamous villain Cruella De Vil. Stone apparently turned down the role of Bella for La La Land so it looks like she’s getting that Disney money anyway!
- The live action Winnie the Pooh will apparently focus on an adult Christopher Robin returning to the hundred Ace wood to meet up with his childhood companions
- The Little Mermaid – could be tricky as the rights are shared with Warner Brothers. Disney should figure out how to do this. Wouldn’t be the first time they split rights on a massive asset though so this is likely to happen
- Tinker Bell will be getting a Prequel
- While more Peter Pan live action movies are unfortunately planned.
- James and the Giant Peach based on the Ronald Dahl book is rumoured to be getting an adaption also. The stop motion Claymation was a huge hit during its 90’s release.
Pinocchio is also getting the live action treatment however the version will reportedly be very loosely based on the original. I’m sure we can at least expect some weird elongated nose.
Well there you have it! Which one are you most excited about? Least excited about? List them out in the comments!